by Skincare-news.com team
Facials are useful in keeping skin healthy, youthful and vibrant. They also can help you stay current on the condition and needs of your skin. A regular facial can both rejuvenate skin and provide some relaxing benefits to help ease stress.
Why a facial?
Facials can help you stay current on the condition and needs of your skin. The Good Spa Guide, an online spa resource, identifies several other benefits. Facials can:
- Cleanse: Eliminate dead skin and deep-clean pores.
- Balance: Even out skin tone while improving overall texture and look.
- Moisturize: Provide dry skin with deep hydration.
- Tighten and brighten: Leave skin looking firmer and refreshed.
What to know before you go
Whether it’s for pampering prior to a special event, maintaining a polished and professional appearance or treating a special skin condition, do your homework before scheduling a facial. Here are some tips:
- Check out the place and practitioner: When first choosing a spa, ask friends, family and co-workers for a recommendation. Ask ahead of time about the specialist’s credentials and experience. Call the appropriate licensing agency to confirm the information.
- Plan ahead: If you’re getting a facial for a special occasion — such as a friend’s wedding or a big date — don’t schedule your facial the day of the engagement. Many treatments can initially leave your face slightly red or irritated. Plan on giving your face a few days to heal before the big day.
- Consider your skin condition: If you have any specific concerns such as acne or aging skin, discuss these with the spa professional prior to your appointment. That way, he or she can select the best type of facial and products for your skin.
What to expect
While there’s a wide array of facials, most have similar steps and aim to rejuvenate the skin for a younger, fresher, healthier complexion. These are the basic steps you can expect:
- Skin analysis: The esthetician closely inspects and evaluates your skin using a brightly lit magnifying lamp. He or she will probably ask about your skin care routine.
- Steam: The specialist uses facial steam to help the skin absorb the products and soften blackheads and whiteheads, making them easier to remove. What skin care products are chosen depend on your particular concern.
- Massage: Facial massage is used to boost circulation and promote relaxation.
- Mask: A facial mask targets your specific skin concern, helping to tone and smooth the skin. Following the mask, the skin specialist typically applies moisturizer (and maybe an eye cream).
- Advice: Most facials end with some professional advice. Your esthetician will offer tips on how to properly care for your skin at home and may recommend products that’ll benefit your skin. Don’t be shy — this is a great time to ask questions!